Saturday, September 12, 2009

Jane Eyre

I have to say, I absolutely love this book! Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte is an absolute page-turner that you never want to put down from start to finish--and even after it's finished. It's about a woman who overcomes many struggles in her life--socially and financially-- in order to achieve equal stature with her one true love. This book takes place in England around the 1800's, a time where marrying into one's social class was important. It is definitely inspiring how a woman with integrity, perseverance, and cleverness is able to break through class restrictions to come up equal with the man she adores: Mr. Rochester--her employer.
What I love most about the book is how romantic it is between Mr. Rochester and her--their interactions, how he would lead her on when he knew their love was almost impossible at first, and how in the very end everything worked out; though, what tortured me for a while in the book was her leaving him--I mean, couldn't there have been another way? On the brightside though, the ending was made even better that way.
This book somewhat reminds me of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I notice-- in both books-- both of the main characters, using their intelligence and personality, were able to overcome differences in social stature to unite with the loves of their lives.
Both books are great and I recommend especially this one to anyone who loves a great novel, and/or an ardent romantic story.

No comments:

Post a Comment